Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Not Full of Whimsy

After stalking every single store in a 20 mile radius looking for Whimsical by Revlon, I finally found it at Ulta two weeks ago.  I've been planning the perfect time to use it.

This, however, turned out to be so very not what I was expecting.  I think this was due in large part to two failures on my part. 

Failure 1:  Poor underwear.  I thought these two would look good together.  I tried it on a swatch quickly and they seemed to.  However, they didn't. 

Failure 2:  Using NYC top coat.  NYC - you are dead to me.  Quite frankly this top coat and I are not friends.  We aren't even frenemies.  We are on the GTFO of my house level of hostility.  

After applying this polish, I topped it with NYC.  Within 10 minutes it seemed good to the touch.  20 minutes later I picked up my sons backpack, look down and see that ALL OF THE POLISH WAS GONE FROM MY THUMB.  Just wiped clean off.  WTF.  Then 15 minutes after that I looked down and 2 of my other fingers?  Also trashed.  This manicure looked like zombie flesh (and not in the good Dollish Polish way) not even 35 minutes later.  Goodbye NYC.

I started out with 2 coats of Orly Decades of Dysfunction, which is a white with pink/mauve undertones.  I thought it would make Whimsical pop on top of it with the pastels lending themselves together.  WRONG.  Then I topped it with 2 coats of Whimsical.  Then came the dreaded "top-coat-who-must-not-be-named".

Call me underwhelmed.  Next time I'll try a better base.

Here is the final product:

You don't see my thumb because that was the one destroyed by the backpack, followed shortly by 2 other fingers on my right hand.


This is a great shot of the pretty sparkles in the nail (click to enlarge)


Yes, I know my ring finger is also goofed up, but I knew it was coming off, so why other trying to clean it up at this point.

This is Decades of Dysfunction without Whimsical.
You can purchase Revlon at any drug store or Ulta.  Orly is sold at Sally Beauty and Ulta.  I found this collection at my Ulta last week.


Clicking on the photos will enlarge them. Please see the disclaimer for this blog.

2 comments:

  1. You should've used a blue as a base! CG For Audrey, maybe? I must admit, I don't understand why Whimsical is such a lemming. I found three bottles at Wal-Mart last weekend and I wasn't even tempted. It seemed underwhelming in the bottle. I hope your next mani works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, it was fun reading your story behind this:) I've often thought of picking this one up, but I've heard mixed reviews - I'm sure I'll grab it one of these days:)

    ReplyDelete